Search This Blog

6/30/10

Jellyfish


I grew up eating jellyfish. In Hong Kong, I remember eating jellyfish at every wedding.

I found a package of cooked and prepared jellyfish at my local Chinese grocery store. I was excited to try it. It came packaged separately with a seasoning and chili sauce packets. As simple as opening each bag and combining the ingredients, the jellyfish dish was ready to devour. It is as I remember--a bit rubbery, but not tough, with a distinct indescribable taste. Flavor is mild and fresh, not fishy. Jellyfish is best eaten fresh so that it has that "crunch" of a cartilage-like texture.

Did you know that jellyfish does not have a brain, heart, or lungs? It is an entire nervous system, providing calcium binding proteins for nutritional benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment